Friday, February 3, 2012

My Australian Parenting Class

I'm posting this from Australia!
I'm here for 2 weeks to spend some time with my brand new goddaughter.
My mission here is threefold:
1- Spend some quality time with little T. and her parents (whom I miss very much in my day-to-day life)
2- Give my sister and brother-in-law a hand with household chores, so they can dedicate themselves to their new role
3- Learn some tricks of the trade!

Parents by birth get all this training in the process of having a child: Lamaze classes, tips from the doctor during their pregnancy, free government documentation easily available at their doctor's, then coaching from the nurses when they're still at the hospital after the birth...
There's going to be a day where Pablo and I will be in a hotel in a country we know little about, far from all our family, with a child we don't yet know. We'll have to figure out what to feed him, what to expect in terms of development, sleep patterns, how to dress him, how to hold him, how to bathe him... In fact, I don't even know exactly what furniture and accessories are a must before we go, and what are just gadgets!
So while I cook and clean for the new parents, I'm also asking lots of questions, and getting lots of practice with their gorgeous little girl. I'll let you guys know what I learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers